Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: North Dacron Jib

North Dacron Jib 10 months 4 days ago #542

• jp
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,
So i've read all the threads/Y&Y Articles that i can find - and there appears to be a significant omission.

The New 3000 North Sails Dacron Jib i have, came with a it's wire "Very Long" like at least 20cm longer than the Hyde & some large distances top & Bottom of the cloth to the wire.
The way the sail is cut - with some splicing, i can fit a furler on the bow - which - from the Y&Y PR suggests is the way this jib is designed to go. (i'm also keen as i sail with small child - and the furling jib is awesome for launching and recovery & for sail preservation).
& I can adjust the sail down the wire - to bring the jib back to the right height.

BUT - it will need a much shorter halyard - and i'm still concerned that the top furler will be touching the sheave when i get enough rig on. The wire looks way over length. (I am on MAX rake)

I am fairly technical - and had a reel of Rig12 to knock up a base strop from the bow fitting to hold the furler within 5mm of the deck & to make a new halyard after measuring a few times, and i'll roll the boat to do the final levelling of the jib to deck once the rig is fully loaded. - but - for someone not so technical - i can see this being a fairly significant challenge. and most likely - unsuccessful.
The guides online completely miss most of this - unless someone can point me in the right direction

So - Question - what is the specified length of the jib wire? Mine was supplied with a luff wire measuring 448cm....
Which when using the stock furler top and bottom plus the smallest possible shackle on top, needs a halyard length of 385cm
If we want this to be a simple switch for people - the jib luff wire needs to be much shorter IMHO.
Did i get a one off long one :blush: - or is that standard?
All the best,
JP
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds