Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Things one isn't supposed to beat!

Things one isn't supposed to beat! 6 years 6 months ago #67

• NickArran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
So, back in 3604 after a week crewing the Javelin around the Javeline EuroKup on the tjeukemeer in Holland. Sometimes Javelin events are as much drinking competitions as sailing competitions, so I was suprised to get home feeling so fit. Hence off in the 3000 for four races ...

1. Wow our little boat is wobbly compared to a Javelin. Took me the first race and two swims to remember that finesse beats brute force!

2. Proceeded to then beat: 2 (admittedly old) Javelins (926), a Merlin Rocket (994) and a Contender (982) on the water. Sometimes, "lapse of reason" just picks up her skirts and planes up wind when everything else is displacement sailing - I just wish I knew how to do it at will (something about the perfect amount of kicker and keeping her flat long enough for the process to start I suspect). Beat the Merlin even despite having to do turns after my kite brushed a mark. "What's the official handicap of your boat?" asked the Merlin sailor (I sail on a personal 1007). "The RYA say 1047" I replied.

3. Still can't get near one of the phantoms (1012) so feel quite justified about my 1007 - but the pahnt did have their national champ in it!

A few more sessions at this then back in the Javelin for Weymouth Sail Fest. hope it's VERY windy or I shall wish I'd brought he 3000!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Things one isn't supposed to beat! 6 years 6 months ago #69

• NickArran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
... and in light winds last night, tailed the "very expensive Merlin Rocket" all the way round, beating an RS100 by many 100s of meters and a buzz by a country mile. The K-6 (906) overtook me at the last mark (but had probably been towing a tonne of weed around the course on his keel).

3604, once pointed in the right direction, with proper rig tension, tighter lowers, and not too much kicker is proving almost embarrassingly fast at the moment - I feel another 25 points hanging by a thread, as beating the Merlin is "not allowed" (not even in a Javelin (926).

... and it's not just he possible handicap banditry that's making it fun; it's a fantastic little boat all round. I doubt there is any other single handed trapeze boat (and hence any single handed boat full stop ) I could have had more fun in yesterday evening.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds