Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New to me 3K questions

New to me 3K questions 2 years 7 months ago #371

• PeterH6
  • Fresh Boarder
Just bought 3319, barn stored for last 8 years and very lightly used

Topic one I intend to change to off the boom sheeting with a ratchet block with clam cleat, using my experience as a Balze Sailor and owner for the former, and the need to be able to cleat the main for single handed with spinnaker, from my experience as an RS700 sailor and owner. Where, compared with the original position of the centre main blocks, should the take off now go?

Topic two. How long should a spinnaker halyard be? as I need a new one.
Does anyone use a longer halyard route through a block tied off nearer the transom, possibly on shock cord, to keep the bight of the rope tidied up?
Does anyone use a pump system like the 700s, and do the rules allow it?

The administrator has disabled public write access.

New to me 3K questions 2 years 7 months ago #372

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Last time I saw 3319 she had an aft bridle and was sheeted off the boom. There's a long sequence showing her half-way through this video:

I'd suggest you try it without the cleat before you go to the bother of fitting one. After the Blaze & 700 I suspect you will find the mainsheet load very low, especially with the kite up. Certainly I felt no need for a cleat when I sailed singlehanded with the kite up, and I'm pretty weak in the arms! Easy just to trap the mainsheet on the extension, play the sheet that causes the correct block to click!

I'd put the ratchet block in place of the forward original block, or even further forward if you're singlehanded or fit a gnav.

Spinnaker halyard length depends on the height of your spi. turning block on the mast, which in turn depends on whether you are using a North or Hyde kite. 14m for Hyde, 15m for North, even longer, of course, if you route it aft as some others (not me) have done.

Never seen a pump system on a 3k (not sure what you'd screw the fittings into), and there's no provision for one in the class rules. Then again, you won't be doing any legit class racing singlehanded, and the already-generous L3k PY will be way out when singlehanding anyway.
Tony

New to me 3K questions 2 years 7 months ago #373

• PeterH6
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the speedy reply. I looked at the somewhat corroded plate and mis read the number. It appears to be, from the sail 3349. I wasn't worried about sheet loads with the cleat. In the 700, with much larger sails and righting moment, it was essential to sheet in and cleat the main in the right position before sheeting in kite and taking to the wire. I did intend to try without (when its warmer.)

Might rig up the boat tomorrow and see what else I don't understand., but I'll go for a longer halyard led black as it is easier to shorten than lenthen

Thanks again

Peter
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds