Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Off the boom sheeting and tiller extensions.

Off the boom sheeting and tiller extensions. 2 years 4 months ago #374

• PeterH6
  • Fresh Boarder
Got a new to me 3K

As a two hander, no probs, change to off the boom sheeting, remove pillar and strap toe straps together, keep tiller extension length. I assume that this does not require any fancy stick work to tack.

However

Single handed and trapeze. Go to off the boom sheeting, looks as though the gap between stern bridle and mast might be insufficient room for suitably long tiller extension. From past boats I have adjustable length extensions, but don't want to have to shorten for every tack, and am a real fan of plastic covered garden poles as extensions. Or do I have to go for a double set up like 18ft skiffs?.

Peter H

Be warned, I'm hoping to be at the dinghy show. Will there be a 3K somewhere?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Off the boom sheeting and tiller extensions. 2 years 4 months ago #375

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Personally I'd have just removed the swivel jammer and kept the straps and pillar (keeps the straps off the floor thus easier to get feet under). Tacking is actually easier with off the boom sheeting and the original extension.

For s'handing, with a long extension, you can move the ratchet block right forward to the kicker (no crew to consider!). Makes tacking easier, and the necessary extension length should present no problems. Moreover, with the ratchet block forward the mainsheet has less tendency to pull the mainsail unduly to windward when the wind dies.
Tony

Off the boom sheeting and tiller extensions. 2 years 4 months ago #376

• PeterH6
  • Fresh Boarder
Speedy response...thanks

I've not done anything yet, other than wrap the hull in a tarp and dry the sails. I have had two Blazes with off the boom sheeting, so I need no convincing.
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds