Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gennaker Pulley - Back to Back?

Gennaker Pulley - Back to Back? 3 years 2 weeks ago #360

• inkhole
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey guys - me again again

Can't believe I've already found yet another fail. The back to back pulley appears to have lost some bearings on one side as the wheel protrudes under pressure. Is this fixable or does a new pulley (is that correct?) need to be purchased.

Thanks all as always!

cant add fotos as - Attachment file size exceed limit allowed by configuration - message appears
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Gennaker Pulley - Back to Back? 3 years 2 weeks ago #361

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Does the pulley still turn freely, can it take load without undue friction? If so I'd carry on till it (possibly) breaks, otherwise replace. I can't imagine it's possible to repair it.
Tony

Gennaker Pulley - Back to Back? 3 years 2 weeks ago #362

• inkhole
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks Tony

Yes it all seems to spin freely and I'm guessing, would take quite a lot of force to actually pull the wheel out. I'll leave it as is but seek out a new one via ebay as I have the time.

Gennaker Pulley - Back to Back? 2 years 10 months ago #366

• NickArran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Sadly, time to start looking around for a new "block" .. It needs to be a 40mm swivelling ratchet block really. My boat has these: www.dinghy-rope.co.uk/40mm-harken-ratche...j-hcoCFasBwwodO5oO6g.

But frankly they're over-priced and the aluminium rotatey bit wears down to bare metal and starts to eat ropes (eventually). They last forever tho (my Javelin is 20 years old, is raced every few weeks, and still has its original Harken spinnaker blocks).

Allen are as good as Harken and much cheaper (also the ratchet engages automatically under load). Selden OK too. Ronstan .. hmm. Barton = avoid (cheap and nasty)..

I didn't find any second hand on ebay and the prices were not much lower than the on line chandlers (rooster, trident, saiboats,www.cleatsandblocks.co.uk etc)

Sailing as they say is "like standing under a cold shower ripping up £50 notes" .. I expect to spend a few hundren on 3604 this year (new cover, new Centre Board ........ just for starters).
Last Edit: 2 years 10 months ago by NickArran.
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds