Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Aft bridle/traveller

Aft bridle/traveller 3 years 3 weeks ago #342

• inkhole
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
New to sailing thus the no doubt silly question - L3K sailed off the boom have a pulley attached at the stern whilst lasers have a travelling pulley which can be used to tighten/loosen the leech as well/instead of the kicker right? What's the reasoning please?

Again, any advice much appreciated :dry:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Aft bridle/traveller 3 years 3 weeks ago #346

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
The big difference between a Laser and a 3k is the jib.. If you don't have a jib, the main needs to be set at an appreciable angle to the centreline (often more than you can achieve using a Laser traveller actually).

Whereas on a boat with a jib, the jib deflects air ahead of the main, meaning that in general you need to pin the main on the centreline - look at the extreme lengths they go to in the Merlin Rocket class and others, where they even pull the boom to windward! At the same time, you need to let the mainsail twist off at its higher sections so that the part above the jib which is not back-winded is set at a similar angle to a Laser main. This generally means a lot less leach tension on a two-sail boat. The L3k Hyde main is particularly sensitive to kicker tension, and I found myself adjusting the kicker as much as the mainsheet upwind when I sailed one.

It always amused and irritated me in equal measure, that Laser persisted in supplying the Laser 2 with a Laser-style traveller, even though all the serious L2 racers immediately swapped it for a block tied on the centreline. Laser could have saved themselves the cost of a traveller block on every boat sold... Sheet loads were huge with the traveller, too!
Tony
Last Edit: 3 years 3 weeks ago by Tony Hunt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: inkhole

Aft bridle/traveller 3 years 3 weeks ago #347

• inkhole
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Big thank you

Excellent info
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds