Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: need a saii

need a saii 3 years 1 month ago #264

• nev
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Guys

congratulations on the great site you have here.

I have recently purchased an old laser 3000 with some well worn original Hyde sails so am looking at options to upgrade them.
I am in Australia (possibly the only 3k in Oz)and am just doing fun mixed fleet racing with my kids. the 3k is the perfect boat for us and we are having a ball with it.

Is any one making training sails like we get for the normal laser and are they much cheaper then the North/Hyde sails. I know the freight and our crap exchange rate is going to be a bit of a killer. If any one has any good second hand sails I would be interested.

thanks for any assistance. Lets not talk about the cricket though, our nation is still in a state of shock and horror :( :)
nev
The administrator has disabled public write access.

need a saii 3 years 1 month ago #265

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
None that I know of - market just isn't big enough, I guess.

Both the Hyde and North sails will last very well, provided you don't leave them flapping (the North Mylar jib is especially vulnerable to flapping).. Probably advisable to minimise unnecessary exposure to sunshine out there too.

I'm wondering how on earth (literally) an L3k found its way to Oz - home of its father, the Laser 2 :-)
Tony

need a saii 3 years 1 month ago #266

• nev
  • Fresh Boarder
thanks Tony

yeah, not real sure how it got here, great little boat though., Laser 2's were reasonably popular here back in the day, had fun sailing on one with my dad. now having fun with my 10 year old on the 3k. We get plenty of wind and chop so the self draining and easy to use kite make it very user friendly.

any links for where I could buy sails on line.?
thanks Nev

need a saii 3 years 1 month ago #269

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
It isn't possible to place an order on a website, so far as I know, but sails of all types are available through Vandercraft. You can get in touch with Jeff Vander Borght as per here:
www.vandercraft.co.uk/contact/index.html
Tony

need a saii 3 years 1 month ago #271

• NickArran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a replica main from someone called sail developments (they were based in Cornwall UK) - but I can't trace them so probably out of business.

Sedburgh school got some from "dolphin" I think, maybe Myles can post and supply more info.

At a push I should think a set of laser 2 sails would push the boat around OK - so long as your not after full performance. Best thing is to call North Sails (try their local agent) and see if they can get some. The sails are after all cut in SE Asia and shipped to the UK, so no further to ship to you than to us.

I know Jeff at Vandercraft has shipped some sails to Dubai - so it can be done through the UK.

Hope it works out!
Last Edit: 3 years 1 month ago by NickArran.
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds