Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Weymouth/Portland Friday 23rd - Monday 26th August

Weymouth/Portland Friday 23rd - Monday 26th August 5 years 1 month ago #12

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
There is a thread running on the Yachts & Yachting forum about this event at the Olympic sailing venue, here:

www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_po...holiday-2013#1343293
Tony
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weymouth/Portland Friday 23rd - Monday 26th August 5 years 1 month ago #13

• NickArran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I think you need to register for this one pretty quickly.

I shall be there, but in the Javelin not the 3k I'm afraid, but hope to see some of the 3k fleet around.

Weymouth/Portland Friday 23rd - Monday 26th August 4 years 9 months ago #72

• Tony Hunt
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 6
Tony

Weymouth/Portland Friday 23rd - Monday 26th August 4 years 8 months ago #76

• NickArran
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I went to this (admittedly in a mates Javelin not my 3k)

Portland is a great place to go sailing; And we had fantastic wind on both the main race days. Though as it's held inside the (vast) harbour it's more like sailing on a big salty lake than actually being on the sea. Javelins love waves and tides, so that was a disappointment for some

WPNSA have a fantastic facility with easy launching and lots of space, a couple of chandlerys (one on site and one in the nearby shops) even an indoor "hanger" if you need to work on a boat indoors.

Good accommodation in Portland house (if you can foil £270 for a twin room for four nights B&B). The camping was quite a way from the sailing.tho and with people so spread about, the socials were a bit thin ... after all WPNSA was built for pro sailors not boozy dinghy amateurs, so I guess restaurants and bars weren't a major priority!

It's the first time SailRacer have run the event, so there were a few teething problems; the training day was a bit chaotic and unfocused and the results after the first day were plain wrong. But all the races started promptly on good courses and the head coach was around all weekend to review the races and talk through rules issues, which was useful ... learnt a few things there! Plus advice available from a pro boat tuner and a man from Raymarine.(TackTicks).

IAll the races (and the training) were GPS tracked and filmed and though we didn't get to review the GPS tracks during the training sessions they are available on line after the event and really revealing about some of my dodgy tactical decisions! Ha! Must try harder!

In all I think this would be a good event for the 3000s as we wouldn't have to organize anything, just pay the money and turn up. Then sail a venue we'd never get on our own. We'd need a quorum tho as there was a notable lack of small asymetrics (one 29er, no buzzes, no vagos, no RS500s,) tho V3000s might have kept up with the back of the ISOs and the slower 4000s.

Sail Racer are running it again next year on the same Bnak Holiday Weekend .... certainly one to think about!
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds